Al Awda hospital is the largest health facilities for Union of Health Work Committees (UHWC), established in 1992 and inaugurated in April 1997 with a capacity of 53 beds and by the contributions of the local community with more than 75% of the construction cost which is a source of pride to every Palestinian, where the number of beneficiaries for 2014 reached 136 459 beneficiaries. It's worth mentioning that the percentage of beneficiaries increased to 9.5 % from 2013. As a result of the expansion in Al Awda hospital, the number of beds reach ( 85 beds) and it can be extended to 100 beds in case of emergency.
Al Awda hospital is an address to diagnostic and therapeutic health services, which won the beneficiaries satisfaction and specialists' trust, it is well-know of its steadfast response to any challenges and dealing with emergency situations. It is worth mentioning that Al Awda hospital has achieved the highest score among maternity hospitals in the Gaza Strip (government and private) by the World Health Organization regarding to Obstetrics and Gynecology services, and got 2.3 out of 3.
Thus, Al Awda is the only hospital that provides Obstetrics and Gynecology services in the northern area, where the number of deliveries for 2014 reached 3,482 cases, besides being the only hospital that provides Urological surgery services in the northern governorate.
Al Awda hospital always develops and expands its services towards implementing self-reliance and continuous coordination with the Palestinian Ministry of Health to reduce referring cases outside Gaza Strip or West Bank to shorten the waiting lists for surgeries .
Al Awda hospital services and departments:
The hospital provides continuous services around the clock (24/7) through the following departments:
Medical services include:
Emergency and Daily Care Department: Equipped with up to date medical equipments to receive all normal and emergency cases and to deal with them professionally around the clock.
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department: Staffed by highly experienced consultants, specialists and nursing team, and equipped with modern medical equipments to provide Obs. & Gyn. services around the clock in the following areas:-
- Obs. & Gyn., Prenatal care, Infertility and family planning clinics.
- Normal delivery and Cesarean Section (CS).
- Surgical operations and different kinds of Obs.& Gyn. Endoscopic surgeries.
- Receiving all referred cases from "UNRWA" Clinics in the northern area.
The department consists of 4 well-equipped operations rooms to conduct different surgical operations:
- General Surgery
- Endoscopic Surgeries ( ERCP, - Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, cystoscopy and other urological endoscopy - Arthroscopy, laparoscopic gynecology, Colonoscopy, Gastroscopy)
- ENT Surgeries.
- Orthopedic Surgery.
- Ophthalmic Surgery .
- Urological Surgery.
- Vascular surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Pediatric surgery
The department is equipped with an updated equipments for examination and following up , besides providing its services from 8:00 am to 08:30pm through the following specialized clinics:
- General Surgery Clinic
- Orthopedic Clinic
- Ophthalmology clinic
- Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) clinic
- Urology Clinic
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic
- Endoscopy and Digestive tract Clinic
- Internal Medicine and Cardiology Clinic
- vascular Clinic
- Dermatology Clinic .
- Plastic surgery Clinic.
- Nutrition Clinic.
- Oncology Clinic
- Neurology Clinic.
- Pediatric Clinic.
- Echo for children and adults
- Neurosurgery clinic
Radiology and Ultrasound Department: Equipped with modern equipments, and lately the equipments were updated by installing Computed radiography (CR) Unit to be able to do the following images:
- Basic x-Ray.
- Barium meal and barium enema
- 3 Dimensions Ultrasound
- Examination and Imaging by Digital Fluoroscopy
Intensive Care Department (ICU):
Contains Adults ICU, highly equipped with 4 beds to deal with critical cases.
Contains Neonatal ICU and includes 6 Incubator
Moreover Al Awda hospital has:
- A central laboratory equipped with the latest devices and developed equipment to conduct all types of laboratory tests.
- Pharmacy: where all kinds of medicines sold with charitable prices to suit everyone.
- Central Sterilization Unit
- Transport and Ambulance Unit
- Maintenance Department
- Backup power unit.
- Water sources.
- Training and continuous Education Unit
- Hospitality services.
According to the signed contract with UNRWA, Al Awda hospital receives refereed cases from UNRWA's clinics in the northern area according to agreed following specialists:
- Urological Surgeries
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Obs. & Gyn. Surgeries
- Normal Deliveries
- Emergency Cesarean Section
- Endoscopic Surgeries in different Specialties
Also Al Awda Hospital receives referred cases from UNRWA's clinics from various areas of Gaza Strip according to agreed following specialists:
Laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy